Hidden Perks of Mommyhood

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

1.  Dancing and singing to oldies in Trader Joe's is ok as long as there is a baby strapped to you.  Looks like I'm just lulling her to sleep when really I'm grooving for me and me only :)

2.  No need to feel guilty wasting gas and taking joy rides.  If baby is sleeping in the back seat, and you know she'll wake up as soon as you turn the engine off, then it's ok to take a wrong turn and drive through the canyons with the windows open.

3.  Motherhood gives you time to think.  Especially when your easily distracted baby needs to nurse in complete silence- no phone, no TV, no nothing.  Yes, I spend plenty of time with me, myself and I.  Wish my brain wasn't so fuzzy these days!

Totally off topic, we finally weaned babygirl off the miracle blanket swaddle. I had this silly sack shipped all the way from New Zealand after reading tons of praises about how it helps with the swaddle transition.  The night it arrived, we simply replaced the swaddle with the Peke Moe, and she was able to fall asleep on her own in the crib.  She stayed asleep for most of the night, waking up just once in the early morning (she's been doing this lately, even when swaddled. 4 month sleep regression, anyone?)   I was so nervous that whole night, thinking she would wake up in a panic.  But when we peaked in the nursery, she was sleeping peacefully, stretched out like a starfish enjoying her new freedom.  I highly recommend the Peke Moe!

She looks like a baby shark.

2 comments:

Sara June 1, 2011 at 10:43 AM  

This post made me laugh out loud. YES. I totally hear ya.

I'm so jealous that she sleeps so much! I should have taken the sleeping issue more seriously before Ro turned 5 months.....although we were traveling so much I hardly had time to think anyway. Oh well... It's much harder to deal with when they have learned to successfully fight sleep (about 5 months) but hopefully I find something that works.

Kristin @ Petal and Thorn June 1, 2011 at 8:01 PM  

Hey Sara! Since Ronan was a dream sleeper as a newborn, and didn't get very fussy when he was tired (Siena is a mess when overtired), it'd be natural to just let the issue slide. Sometimes I'm grateful that Siena was a fairly troubled sleeper in the beginning, since it forced me to tackle the problem at an early age. Now I need to work on not being such a sleep nazi, because it's robbing me of joy :(

Post a Comment