Packing for Costa Rica!

Monday, January 7, 2013


Our trip to Costa Rica (see above) is just around the corner.  Eeeek!  I'm trying to pack wisely.  Packing wisely utilizes traits that I wasn't blessed with- organization, common sense, simplicity, neatness.  In the past I've been an sloppy overpacker (who has time to fold?  Just shove shove shove!)  But it's a new year, and one of my resolutions is to be more neat and organized. My personal challenge is to fit all my and Sisi's belongings into one small carryon suitcase and backpack because we'll be staying in small quarters (see below.)

our bungalow
So far, my suitcase looks like this:

It's a hot mess, but I have some time to simplify and reorganize.  Luckily, we mostly need swimsuits, light skimpy clothes, and flip flops.  However, we'll be sweating buckets in tropical heat, so it will be hard to re-wear outfits without washing them. I'm trying to find that perfect balance between under and over-packing. I packed several tank tops/tees, shorts, undies, bikinis, sundresses, one lounge outfit (which will only be worn when I'm freshly showered or sleeping) and one hiking outfit.  I purposely chose outfits that don't require bras (just one less thing to worry about).  For Sisi, I packed lots of white cotton pants and long sleeved onesies in case the mosquitos find her as delicious as they do me. Also, a few swimsuits, shorts, tees, and 2 pairs of pajamas for the munchkin. In regards to that mountain of diapers...we would totally buy diapers in CR, but Sisi's butt is quite accustomed to her seventh generation diapers (and I like the amazon price better than the CR price.)  Makes me wonder how Taza and her family dressed as stylishly as they did in Italy (with scarves, accessories, peacoats, hats, etc.) and just took two backpacks? Seems darn near impossible!

These neoprene lunch sacks by Built are wonderful!  They fit a ton, are insulated and super sleek.  We have one for snacks and one for beverages. Thanks to baby, we're allowed to bring "a reasonable amount" of food and beverages for her onto the plane.What is reasonable exactly?  No consensus on that.  Hope the TSA people have mercy on us!
 
Some of the healthy munchies we packed for the plane: 
  • paleo cookies
  • nuts
  • dried peaches
  • dried coconut flakes
  • applesauce pouches
  • powdered goat milk 
  • beef jerky
  • bison Tanka bars 
  • scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast in the air
  • powdered goat milk
  • sardines (before you boo and hiss at me, know that we will refrain from eating these on the actual plane.  I will already have a 2 year old on the flight and don't want to make anymore enemies.)

I'm using this cute zebra backpack by Vera Bradley as my diaper bag. It's soft quilted cotton and will make a great pillow in a pinch. I'm keeping the diaper essentials (wipes, wet ones, powder, tissues, extra onesie) in a little pouch to make room for all Sisi's toys (cheapo party favors from the craft store) and favorite books.  I will strategically offer her one new toy every 1/2 hour or so on the plane.  Luckily, it's only a 6 hour flight, so I'm not too worried about keeping her occupied.
 I'm an avid reader, although I usually stick to self-help books.  Hmm, what does that say about me?  I'm challenging myself to get out of my comfort zone and just bring pleasure reading on the trip.  My childhood best friend got me Truth and Beauty for Christmas, I took my friend Rachel's recommendation of Housekeeping.  Below Stairs is just something that caught my eye at the library.  Since Sisi goes to bed early, we'll be doing a lot of reading in the hammock at the hotel.

 I'm extremely proud of how few toiletries I'm bringing. I've grown a lot in this area. Sisi and I are sharing her California Baby Sensitive shampoo and body wash.  We'll also share the jojoba and coconut oil in lieu of moisturizer and lotion.  I'm skipping the conditioner, shaving cream, and makeup.  One thing I can't live without is my sonicare toothbrush, so I'll be lugging that and the charger with us.

We're also bringing the ergo carrier for hikes, an umbrella stroller, and Joe's camera.  We were thinking of taking the point and shoot instead, but Joe will need a telephoto lens to capture the wildlife and surfing wife. 

I have butterflies, I'm just so excited to get away and explore the beauty of Costa Rica with my two favorite people.  We'll see you soon!  Sorry doggy, no room for you in my suitcase. 

3 comments:

Sara January 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM  

This is awesome, Kristin! I'm so excited for you guys. Can't wait to see your pictures from the trip! :)

Unknown January 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM  

did you see that naomi updated her blog with how they fit everything in 2 backpacks? i would have never known she only had 3 outfits! also, the eagle creek packing organizers (cube and folders) at REI are amazing! i used to make fun of my husband for using one, then he got me one and i converted!

Unknown March 4, 2021 at 11:28 AM  

Hello! I am one of the models in this post. I am trying to edit the images of myself online, for professional reasons. I'm wondering who is in charge of this page and if it's possible to take it down.
Thank you!
Please email me at ackerman.adrienne@gmail.com

Post a Comment