A "Quilt" for Sisi

Friday, December 13, 2013

I've always loved the idea of making a quilt for Sisi, but I can't commit to sewing a real one. I'm happy to bust  out my sewing machine for easy projects like curtains and pillows and felt garlands, but a quilt?  That's major.  That's majorly out of my league.

So, I decided to make a faux quilt which requires no sewing at all, just stamping.  Each square represents something special that Sisi and I treasure, like the ocean, flowers, our dogs, our home, etc.  

I used foam sheets from the craft store to make the actual stamps.  I just cut out shapes (the simpler the better) and glued them on.  I used the same technique for these foam and cork stamps.  

I applied acrylic paint directly onto the stamps, then I stamped each image onto a square piece of paper. The images didn't come out perfectly, but I was ok with that.  It gave the project a rustic feel, which seems right for a quilt.

I actually made 16 squares in all, but when I found out how much it would cost to have a custom 24x24 square frame made (over 300.00 on sale!!!) I decided to pick my 12 favorite squares to fit into a rectangular 24x18 frame (on sale for about 30.00- that's more like it.)


Now I have 8 super cute stamps to use on handmade cards and gift wrap.  I'm planning to use them to add a little oomph to my plain kraft gift bags this Christmas.  

Hopefully we'll have another kiddo someday, and I am excited to get to know that little one and figure out what motifs belong on his or her special quilt.  Already looking forward to that!  :)  

2 comments:

Lacey December 13, 2013 at 2:26 PM  

Cute - I like the sentimental aspect of the things that you both enjoy doing.

I made my first quilt earlier this year and was, also, intimidated. I chose to do a series of long, thick strips (very little proper piecing and 'patchwork' required) in order to let me get the hang of what quilting was about. It was a success, so I've started one for Aela's bed. I got the patchwork bit done, and the quilting, but then I made a mistake and it has, no joke, sat in the "fix this" pile for over 6 months. When I fail, I fail BIG!

Angel @ loveandsplendor.com/blog December 18, 2013 at 12:18 AM  

So beautiful!! I absolutely love this. It looks marvelous framed, too. You are so creative, my friend!!! xox

Post a Comment